We’ve been in our sermon series entitled “Stories” for about a month now, and today’s story is another great lesson for us to glean from the Bible! There are stories within these pages that tell of failures and success of God’s people. Today, we explore the Israelites under the leadership of Joshua – and their failure to capture the city of Ai.
Listen to our teaching today entitled “Getting ready to Fail”
6 Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to the ground before the ark of the LORD, remaining there till evening. The elders of Israel did the same, and sprinkled dust on their heads. 7And Joshua said, “Alas, Sovereign LORD, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan! 8 Pardon your servant, Lord. What can I say, now that Israel has been routed by its enemies? 9The Canaanites and the other people of the country will hear about this and they will surround us and wipe out our name from the earth. What then will you do for your own great name?”
Sermon Notes – “Getting Ready To Fail”
For continued victory in life we must…
- Avoid Self-confidence! (7:1-3)
- Avoid Self-Assurance (7:4-9)
- Having failed…Return to God-dependence!
- We must seek God’s direction, because He alone can bring us true Victory!Questions:
1. What areas in your life right now have you neglected to seek God’s direction in?
2. Have you experienced failures? How did they make you feel?
3. How can you turn your failures into victories? Where does God play into all of this?
4. Can you trust God to help you today? Will you trust Him?